Image Source: Visit Qatar
Qatar Tourism has unveiled a new stopover holiday campaign starring David Beckham to promote the country's tourism ambitions, which include attracting more than six million tourists per year by 2030. The advertisement depicts Beckham's action-packed 48-hour journey throughout the country, demonstrating how Qatar has everything for everyone, from cultural sites to picturesque landscapes.
Beckham is shown exploring the nation as he explores the meandering spice shops of Souq Waqif, soaks up local street art, makes tacos infused with local flavors, camps in the desert, and motorbikes about Doha.
Commenting on the launch of the campaign, Chairman of Qatar Tourism and Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, HE Akbar Al Baker, said: "It has been a pleasure to welcome David to Qatar, where he has immersed himself in the culture and experienced first-hand the warm hospitality of our people. I encourage the millions who transit through Qatar every year to follow in David's footsteps and create their own exciting adventure and memories. We have something for everyone at incredible value, whether it's sun, sea and sand, rich heritage and culture, surprising nature, or a modern and fun city break."
David Beckham said: "Qatar has surprised me with a wide range of great experiences you can have in just 48 hours. The people are warm and welcoming, and it is a great place to spend a few days."said David Beckham.
He added: "The people of Qatar are really passionate about their culture and the mix of modern and traditional creates something really special. I saw so much during my trip from spice markets to museums to enjoying a ride on my motorbike, which was one of the highlights."
With more than 80% of the world's population within six hours of Qatar, this ad demonstrates how Qatar is a perfect destination to transform a layover into a mini-break. Qatar Tourism hopes to enhance awareness of the world's greatest value stopover packages, which are available from Qatar Airways, with this campaign. Content for the campaign will be distributed through digital advertising, social media platforms, and Qatar Tourism's website, as well as through chosen partners. The campaign film will also be available on Oryx, Qatar Airways' in-flight entertainment system.
David Beckham had experiences with the following people during his visit to Qatar:
1. Chef Noor Al Mazroei, Chef at Rosado Café, took David on a tour of the spice market in Souq Waqif
2. Saad Ismail Al Jassim, one of Qatar's last legendary pearl divers, gave David a lesson on the country's historic primary industry of pearling, before the discovery of oil and gas
3. Abdulaziz Yousef, a Qatari artist, showed David around Souq Waqif's Art Centre
4. Chef Aquiles Chaves, a visiting chef and television personality from Mexico, helped David cook tacos fused with Qatari flavours
5. Sheikha Reem Al Thani, Acting Deputy CEO of Exhibitions and Marketing and the Director of Centralized Exhibitions at Qatar Museums (QM), accompanied David as he explored one of Qatar's most iconic museums
6. Khalid & Majid, Qatari falcon trainers, greeted David at a desert camp near Khor Al Adaid, also known as the Inland Sea
7. Saeed Al Sulaiti, Qatari Motorcycle Champion, rode with David around The Pearl-Qatar, a man-made island with shops, hotels and colourful residential neighbourhoods
8. Hamida Issa Al Kuwari, a Qatari filmmaker, guided David through Katara Cultural Village, Qatar's go-to destination for art, food, and culture
9. Khalid Al Hamadi, dhow & Qatari Marine Expert, accompanied David aboard a traditional wooden dhow boat