Qatar condemns bombing in Somalia, expresses condolences to victims' families and government

  • 3 months   ago

The State of Qatar expressed its strong condemnation and denunciation of the explosion that took place in central Somalia and left a Somali official and three of his guards dead, reiterating its firm stance on rejecting violence and terrorism regardless of the motives and causes, Qatar Agency News reported today.

The country also expressed its condolences to the victims' families and to the government and people of Somalia.

 

 

 

According to a report by the VOA Somali, a suicide bomb explosion in central Somalia has killed at least five people including a regional governor on Sunday.

The governor of Puntland administration's Mudug region, Ahmed Muse Nur, his brother, and two bodyguards, were killed after a suicide bomber driving a rickshaw rammed into his vehicle in the town of Galkayo, 600 kilometers north of Mogadishu.

Mayor Sahid Mohamud Ali told VOA Somali that the governor died at the scene along with his bodyguards and driver. 

“It was a suicide vehicle filled with explosives that hit the governor’s car,” Ali said.

Nur was appointed to his post in May of last year. He previously served as deputy governor and was described a veteran of the region’s politics.

The al-Shabab militant group claimed responsibility for the explosion.

Nur is the second governor from Puntland administration assassinated by suicide bombers within two months. On March 29, the governor of Nugal region Abdisalam Hassan Hersi was killed after he was fatally injured in a suicide bombing in the town of Garowe.

Source: VOA News

Comments